Kielbasa and Sauerkraut
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, sliced
2 baking apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
1 bag (16 ounces) sauerkraut, drained
1 cup white wine
1 tablespoon grainy or French mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
2 pieces (12 ounces each) kielbasa, cut into 2 inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a flameproof casserole over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add onion, garlic and one of the apples. Cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until the onion is beginning to brown.
- Stir in the wine, sauerkraut, mustard, salt and pepper. Arrange sausages on top. Bring to a boil. Transfer to the oven and roast for 45 minutes, or until sausages are well browned. I always remove at 45 mins, even though the sausages usually are not well browned.
- Remove pan from oven and stir in the remaining apple.
- Serve with mashed potatoes or noodles. Klaus just likes rye bread with it…
As for the sauerkraut, I just avoid the canned. I generally buy it in a plastic bag near the knockwurst in the grocery store. I think this time I used Dietz and Watson, although I am sure other brands are fine